Schlagwort-Archive: Mali

Al-Jazeera Interviews Western Al-Qaida Hostages In Mali

Quelle: Youtube Al-Jazeera

On November 25 2011 three Europeans were captured by masked gunmen in the Malian city of Timbuktu. Steven Malcolm, a dual South African and British national as well as Nils Joan Viktor Gustafson, a Swedish national, and Jacobus Nicolo Ruke, a Dutch national, were taken hostage by „Al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb“ (AQIM) and have since then been held by the Islamists.

In April of this year AQIM offered to release all three men if the UK would stop the deportation of imprisoned Jihadist cleric Abu Qatada to the United States. The deal was not made.

Qatari TV-Channel Al-Jazeera was able to contact AQIM for a rare meeting the Malian desert. The journalists were allowed to interview the European hostages. Footage of this visit to the Al-Qaida fighters can be seen here

Al-Jazeera Meets Western Hostages In Mali

Werbeanzeigen

Al-Qaida in Islamic Maghreb Demands Release of Abu Qatada

by Florian Flade

Last November Islamist militants of Al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) kidnapped three Europeans in the Mali desert city of Timbuktu. Among them British-South African national Stephen Malcolm.

Today AQIM released a statement offering the release of the Briton in return for the release of Palestinian cleric Abu Qatada. If the British government agrees to deport Abu Qatada to a country of his choice, Stephen Malcolm will be freed, the statement by AQIM reads.

Britain has been trying to extradite Abu Qatada to Jordan for more than six years now. In the Arab country the cleric has been sentenced in absentia for the involvement in terror attacks. Now the European Court of Human Rights is about to decide wether or not the British government is allowed to extradite Abu Qatada.

In today´s statement AQIM says that Britain will „open the doors of evil“ if the Palestinian cleric will be send to Jordan.

Al-Qaida in North Africa Warns Of European Military Action

by Florian Flade

The Al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) has threatened European countries if they are launching a military operation in order to free kidnapped European tourists held by the terrorist group.

A written statement released by AQIM today on the Internet forums says there is information about a planned military operation by a joined force of European countries headed by France to rescue five Europeans abducted by Al-Qaida last year.

„That signals their definite preparation to launch a military operation to target the Mujahidin in an attempt to rescue the Western hostages held captive by the organization (…) And it clearly appears that France and her agents did not learn from the past lessons. They have no intention to avoid repeating the previous stupidity that caused the death of the French hostages in Niger and Mali.“

The Islamists are warning European governments of any attempt to engage with the Al-Qaida hostage takers.

„We send a clear warning to the government of the following countries; France, Britain, Holland and Sweden, that a military attack on the Mujahidin in north Mali will be taken as their approval for executing their citizens“

Al-Qaida further states it will not take any responsibility for the death of hostages if they are killed during a military confrontation.

„The Mujahidin do not wish for such a tragic ending. They are careful to find a peaceful and just resolution for the affair of the hostages. And based on it, we direct an urgent call to the families of the hostages. We say to them: you must pressure your governments to avoid a military operation that will surely cause the death of your relatives“

At this point AQIM is holding at least nine European citizens, including five tourists kidnapped last year. Two French geologists were kidnapped by AQIM on November 24 2011 from their hotel in eastern Mali. AQIM claims the two men are spies of the French intelligence agency.

The following day AQIM gunmen kidnapped three European tourists – a Swede, a Dutchman and a South African with British citizenship – in the historical city of Timbuktu. The group of tourists was having launch at a restaurant in the city when the Islamists attacked. A 58 year-old German national who resisted the kidnappers was shot dead in the incident.

Images of the hostages have been released by AQIM in December 2011.